Re: Terminology when talking about Linked Data

Peter Ansell wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> On 17 February 2010 11:18, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Other than the obvious - Linking Open Data = The name of W3C Community
>> Project - I'm wondering which terminology to use where when talking
>> about (what I'll term "Linked Data" for now).

>> at the core of it, which can be used behind the firewall in a "silo"
>> with nothing open about it.
>>
>> So if I then term "Linked Open Data" as "Linked Data" which has been
>> published properly, then what do I use to refer to the tech-stack and
>> principals as a whole?
>
> If it is published internally to an organisation, it may still be
> Linked Data as the URI's may be resolvable internally by all people
> who have any need to see the information. It may violate privacy laws
> for example for the information to be publically available.
>
> I wouldn't so much refer to it as "properly" published, as
> "publically" published.
>
> What is the context in which you need to make the distinction?

The context is purely in discussion format; when I'm talking about
"Linked Data" - if I first explain it to mean "linked data"; then talk
about it being made public as "linked open data" (leaving the
private/public what to publish bit out of it) then to what do I refer to
the overall tech-stack as? everything that comes with it eg:

 - Linked Data, RDF, SPARQL, REST, Quad-Stores, REST, Ontologies, OWL2,
EAV/CR, FOAF+SSL, HTTP, URIs etc

A name for the above as a whole.

Many Regards,

Nathan

ps: I'm aware I wrote REST twice, but for some reason it seemed amusing
to leave it in..?!