Re: Linked data in packaged content (ePub)

From: Stuart A. Yeates <syeates@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 06:39:53 +1200
To: John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com>
Cc: public-lod community <public-lod@w3.org>
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:36 PM, John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stuart, t's not clear to me what you're trying to accomplish...For
> whom are you trying to add value?

We are funded to digitise teaching, learning and research materials
for our staff and students. Value to anyone else is incidental, but
indicative.

> Are you imagining creating some kind of meshup within the reading
> experience, perhaps meshing metadata and links bound to entities
> within the ePub'd document with external linked data?

Ideally, I'd like a protocol such as Open URL (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_URL ), linking books on the device
up to the bibliographies of other books that also happen to be on the
device. For low CPU devices the links might have to be pre-calculated
when connected to a desktop PC. I understand that Open URL can't
actaully do this because it assumes the web.

cheers
stuart