Re: Linked data in packaged content (ePub)

Stuart, t's not clear to me what you're trying to accomplish...For
whom are you trying to add value?

Since ePub is XHTML, it makes sense to embed metadata as RDFa. But
why? Is the purpose to enhance the reading experience? Or perhaps the
local collection management experience?

Publishers should be, and most likely are, obtaining DOIs
<http://doi.org> for their materials through a registration agency
such as CrossRef <http://crossref.org>. As we have discussed elsewhere
(and for more than a decade...) the DOI enables multiple stakeholders
to manage and publish metadata about the item; linked data best
practices are a promising approach , but RDFa on an RA's landing page
for the item is also a possibility. The DOI is not about embedding
metadata in individual instances, however, which is what you seem to
be asking about.

Are you imagining creating some kind of meshup within the reading
experience, perhaps meshing metadata and links bound to entities
within the ePub'd document with external linked data?

John

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.
http://bitwacker.wordpress.com