Proliferation of URIs - the lingvoj-lexvo-rosetta use case Re: Catalog of Ontology Modeling Issues

Hi Peter

[going public ollowing my previous private message on this, but reducing the
cc list to LOD to avoid noise, feel free to forward as you like]

Good initiative, and I'm happy to see Proliferation of URIs, Managing
Coreference<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Proliferation_of_URIs%2C_Managing_Coreference>on
top of the list of issues.
I would like to see approaches to this issue, and if possible good
practices, emerging from a practical use case. As a matter of fact, I've
tried to figure the roadmap for the URIs I've been publishing at
http://lingvoj.org since 2007, and it looks like an exemplar story. It's
also somehow linked to recent discussions on URI patterns, keys and shared
identifiers.

Let me sum up the story. Back in 2001, the track I followed for managing
coreference was Topic Maps Published Subjects. A general technical committee
was set in the framework of OASIS [1], and a specific one for application to
countries and languages [2]. The objective of the latter was to provide
stable URIs identifying countries and languages, based on ISO codes. Those
URIs were eventually published, see [3] and are still alive in OASIS
namespace, e.g., http://psi.oasis-open.org/iso/639/#fra. This work was
supposed to be provisional, set as an example of what the authority defining
the codes (namely ISO) could do under its authoritative namespace.
Meanwhile we've used ever since in Mondeca those URIs to identify the user
languages in our software. But when the good practices for publishing
vocabularies emerged in the linked data movement (2007) I was aware that
those URIs where not conformant to the good practices, despite the
availability of a RDF description [4], this description was not accessible
from the URI. I looked for other URIs defining languages, and found a couple
of them, not better in this respect, such as [5] which seems to be dead
right now ...
So I decided to forge myself URIs conformant to linked data best practices,
bought for a couple of euros the lingvoj.org domain, and with a little help
from the community, eventually published the URIs which have been stable
ever since. A couple of linked data sets have been using them, so now I
figure I'm doomed to maintain them alive, and if possible improve quality.

Meanwhile DBpedia has published its own URIs for languages, and Freebase did
the same in the framework of the very cool Rosetta project, and I just
discovered today the excellent Lexvo project very similar to lingvoj.org and
better in many respects. And I have news since last year that the LoC group
in charge of ISO 639 publication intended to publish its own URIs.

Aware of that, what should be the roadmap? We have a rather simple example
to deal with, in the sense that many of the resources those duplicate URIs
identify are pre-defined by an authority assigning codes (ISO 639), and
those codes are often used in URI patterns, easing a lot of 1 to 1 mapping.
Therefore the related issue of using owl:sameAs or not is not as important
as in e.g., geographical entities defined following various overlapping
fatets and levels of granularity, and the technical issues of mapping quite
straightforward to tackle. So we are left mainly with the social aspects.
Here is a process I suggest.

- Use the ODP site to trigger a group discussion of managers of all the main
URI namespaces : DBpedia, Freebase, Lingvoj, Lexvo ...
- Figure out through this discussion which among those namespaces should be
preferred over alternative ones in terms of quality of data, accessibility,
persistence, strength and authority of publisher
- Figure out the way to declare in RDF : this URI is good enough, it's OK if
you use it, but you should consider using that one, which identifies the
same thing but is better for reasons X, Y
- Maybe figure out focus of each namespace re. the information it wants to
provide, and share the work (more tricky, but more interesting).

Looking forward for collaboration on this.

Bernard

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=tm-pubsubj
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=geolang
[3] http://psi.oasis-open.org/iso/639/