Re: [Patterns] Materialize Inferences (was Re: Triple materialization at publisher level)

From: Vasiliy Faronov <vfaronov@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 14:36:28 +0400
To: Leigh Dodds <leigh.dodds@talis.com>
Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>
Leigh Dodds wrote:
> It's occurred to me before that a schema or ontology, when used in
> conjunction with a reasoner is (if you squint) a form of data
> compression: we can encode less as raw assertions, and "unpack" the
> data at the receiving end by applying the schema and a reasoner.

To an extent, yes. But since the LD web is not a closed world, there's
always the possibility that someone will add their own data to ours and
produce entirely new, non-obvious and useful inferences that we could
not think of.

> Along these lines, Jeni Tennison published some thoughts on included
> "Derived Data" in a recent blog post:
>
> http://www.jenitennison.com/blog/node/139
>
> What do people think of that advice w.r.t to this pattern?

Personally I think Jeni wrote a good practical overview of what
we're discussing here, including things I completely forgot, like
materialization of inverse relations.

--
Vasiliy Faronov