Re: What would you build with a web of data?

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 4:48 AM, Georgi Kobilarov <georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de>wrote:

> Let's be creative about stuff we'd build with the web of data. Assume the
> Linked Data Web would be there already, what would build?

Lots of things:

(1) A 'smart' encyclopedia that can reformat Wikipedia (and other content)
for specific audiences/context.  For instance,  a children's encyclopedia,
 an encyclopedia about what people in Heian Japan could have plausibility
known about,  etc.

(2) Systems that add 'Xanalogical' (sorry T. Nelson) structure to text based
on text understanding.  For instance,  if I'm reading a text,  I want
something that can infer intertextuality and add 'footnotes' that clarify
any issue that I want clarified.  The text involved could be anything:
 tweets,  "cheat sheets" for video games (how exactly can I get that item?),
 scientific papers,  Shakespeare,  even parallel texts.  (I'd love to line
up an English translation of the Kojiiki w/ the archaic original Japanese
and have tools that let somebody who barely understands Japanese [me] get a
lot out of it)

(3) A site like boxedup.com without all the stupid web 2.0 features that
never really worked...  I want to be able to just bookmark an item and have
the system extract good data about it...  and NOT ask me to fill out tags.

The book "Pull" makes a good case for how semantic technology enables
ambient computing...  I had a talk with an a MIT media lab graduate years
ago who was fundamentally skeptical about the ability of computers to
understand context and do the kind of things that a good butler does.
 Ultimately a big 'commonsense' knowledge base is going to make 'impossible'
things happen.

http://thepowerofpull.com/pull/