Re: What would you build with a web of data?

Just a last word on this before the week-end ...

well, why did I ask people to write about their ideas for apps?
> My observation is that there are zero real apps using linked open data
> (i.e.
> data from "the cloud"). Not even a single one. Null.
> After 3 years of "linking open data"...

I let others proving this is sort of wrong.

> There are applications that re-use identifiers, and there are applications
> that use single, hand-picked data sources.  But let's be honest, that's not
> "using the linked data cloud". So, why's that? There must be a reason.
> Which
> part of the ecosystem sucks?

I have a few ideas, which eventually will certainly turn out to be
completely wrong ...

In my opinion we won't get to solve that question if we stick to "linked
> data will save the planet, one day".

If you imply that it was my message, I think you got me wrong. No
technologies will save the world. People will do, or will not. Tools might
help, or not.
I simply said that I would like to see applications based on linked data
connecting problems to their solutions, or at least connecting people facing
similar issues in similar contexts, which seems something both totally
relevant and technically doable. After that, it's up to people to use them
or not.
Just unearthed an old post from a similar debate about topic maps back in
2001 which I could re-write today here ...
http://www.petesbox.net/pipermail/topicmapmail/2001q3/002844.html

> But instead, figure out which apps
> people would want to build now, and then see why it's not possible. If it
> doesn't work on the small scale of some simple app, how will linked data
> ever save our planet?

Currently what I suggest is not possible mostly because relevant data are
not necessarily present in the current data cloud. There is still a lot to
tap out there. BTW people at wiserearth.org I have mentioned are clearly
asking for help in integrating their data to the LOD cloud, because they
don't have currently the task force to achieve that. And they definitely
would want the kind of applications I mentioned. Not "one day" but "today"
(or tomorrow morning). And not necessarily complex applications.

Bernard