Re: What would you build with a web of data?

Georgi,

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Georgi Kobilarov
<georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de>wrote:

> well, why did I ask people to write about their ideas for apps?
> My observation is that there are zero real apps using linked open data
> (i.e.
> data from "the cloud"). Not even a single one. Null.
> After 3 years of "linking open data"...

Just a little bit of history from my perspective...

This has been my concern from day one! And day one from me was when I
attended the Publishing Linked Data tutorial [1] at ISWC2008! It wasn't
clear to me what you could do with Linked Data, for a web developer
perspective. However, then I saw the Semantic Web Client Library [2] and
then it hit me: Linked Data makes the web appear as one giant database. This
is when Olaf Hartig and I started talking and we created SQUIN [3]. The
motivation was that there isn't an easy way to query the existing Linked
Data on the web. This opened a new problem that has never been faced before
(query execution on a web of linked data), which Olaf has started to tackle
[4] and so are we.

Because ISWC2008 had the publishing linked data tutorial, Olaf Hartig,
Patrick Sinclair (BBC), Jamie Taylor (Freebase) and I thought that ISWC2009
should have the consuming linked data tutorial. In the process of organizing
the tutorial, we realized that there isn't an organized way of consuming
linked data, hence the lack of linked data apps (apps that consume linked
data). So there is a need to tell people 1) what you can do with linked data
and 2) how you can do it! Hopefully our slides will help:

www.consuminglinkeddata.org

We will be presenting this tutorial at WWW2010 in a few weeks.

However, a few weeks before ISWC2009, I posted a question about consuming
linked data apps and that we should get together during the conference and
hack up some apps. The whole idea grew and I organized in a few days the 1st
Linked Data-a-thon which was held at ISWC2009 (www.linkeddata-a-thon.com)
 The objective was to hack-up consuming linked data apps. Honestly, this was
kind of selfish of me :) I have a lot of web developer friends who I talk to
about Linked Data.. but I have no real online apps to show off the power of
Linked Data. With the apps created during the Linked Data-a-thon, I can now
go show off and tell people the types of things that can be done. During
this event, everybody learned a lot. We learned about the current status of
Linked Data, the tools, infrastructure, what it takes to do a linked data
app, what was easy, what was hard. Several participants and I got together
and wrote up a document. We have this on hold but I will now push this so we
can at least publish it as a blog post and share with the whole community
our lessons learned. Some experiences can be found on the linked data-a-thon
website or here [5].

In summary, everybody on this list should go build their own Consuming
Linked Data app! Hopefully before April 26... so when we present the
tutorial again, we will have much more apps to show off!

Thanks!

[1] http://events.linkeddata.org/iswc2008tutorial/
[2] http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/ng4j/semwebclient/
[3] http://squin.org