Re: What would you build with a web of data?

From: Matthias Samwald <samwald@gmx.at>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 17:41:28 +0200
To: "Georgi Kobilarov" <georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de>, "'Bernard Vatant'" <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Cc: "public-lod" <public-lod@w3.org>
Georgi wrote:
> There are applications that re-use identifiers, and there are applications
> that use single, hand-picked data sources.  But let's be honest, that's
> not
> "using the linked data cloud". So, why's that? There must be a reason.
> Which
> part of the ecosystem sucks?

I don't see why limiting applications to use only a selected subset of data
sources equals "not really using the linked data cloud". This is like saying
you have not _really_ used Microsoft Word unless you use every possible font
effect for each document you write. Limiting your application to certain,
selected datasets seems to be the only 'no-nonsense' way of using data out
there while still taking care of reliability, relevance and trust issues.

Cheers,
Matthias Samwald