Re: [Patterns] Materialize Inferences (was Re: Triple materialization at publisher level)

From: Vasiliy Faronov <vfaronov@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:22:05 +0400
To: Giovanni Tummarello <giovanni.tummarello@deri.org>
Cc: Leigh Dodds <leigh.dodds@talis.com>, public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>
Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
> The problem is not the standard but its the process.
>
> a webmaster should dump the data in a owl or so reasoner (or rdfs
> whatever) , then pick the outcoming triples and basically hand write
> those extra classes in the nice HTML template.. mmm :-)

I don't think full inference is necessary or feasible. Each publisher
should consider which triples are likely to be useful for their clients,
and materialize those. Obviously there's no use writing:

	X rdf:type rdfs:Resource ; owl:sameAs X .

But it makes a lot of sense to write:

	X rdf:type sioct:BlogPost , sioc:Post , sioc:Item .

And it shouldn't be difficult for webmasters who understand the basics
of RDF and the semantics of the vocabularies involved. Which they
should :-)

By the way, it would be nice if the description of this design pattern
included more guidelines/examples of which things are generally useful
to materialize and which are not.

--
Vasiliy Faronov