Triple materialization at publisher level

From: Vasiliy Faronov <vfaronov@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 22:58:53 +0400
To: public-lod@w3.org
Hi,

The announcement of the Linked Data Patterns book[1] prompted me to
raise this question, which I haven't yet seen discussed on its own. If
I'm missing something, please point me to the relevant archives.

The question is: should publishers of RDF data explicitly include
(materialize) triples that are implied by the ontologies or rules used;
and if yes, to what extent?

For example, should it be
	exspecies:14119 skos:prefLabel "Jellyfish" .
	ex:bob a foaf:Person .
or
	exspecies:14119 skos:prefLabel "Jellyfish" ;
		rdfs:label "Jellyfish" .
	ex:bob a foaf:Person , foaf:Agent .
?

The reason I find this worthy of attention is because there seems to be
a gap between simple RDF processing and reasoning. It's easy to find an
RDF library for your favourite language, fill a graph with some data and
do useful things with it, but it's somewhat harder to set up proper
RDFS/OWL reasoning over it, not to mention the added requirements for
computational power.

I think this is one area where a general "best practice" or design
pattern can be developed.

[1] http://patterns.dataincubator.org/book/

--
Vasiliy Faronov