Re: Linked Data Mash-a-thon

From: Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:17:11 -0500
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: Bernhard Schandl <bernhard.schandl@univie.ac.at>, Corey Leong <cleong@gr8c.org>, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Todd J Schneider <todd.schneider@raytheon.com>, Giovanni Tummarello <g.tummarello@gmail.com>, Brian Manley <brian.manley@gmail.com>, public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Sandro

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

> > > Let me rephrase: I urge everybody to try to explain what Linked Data
> > > and the
> > > Semantic Web is to 1) web developer 2) CEO 3) VC investors 4) my
> > > parents 5)
> > > Oprah!
> >
> > Except of 1), don't try to explain what Linked Data is: show them cool
> > applications instead and how they can benefit from them.
>
> I think both prospects are doomed.  Linked Data is as cool as ethernet
> or fiber optics or RAID or GPL or Python or gzip or JPEG or
> transactional processing.  Those are all very, very cool to the people
> who use them.  They are great technologies that solve a whole set of
> problems very nicely, and end-users have seen great benefits.  Sometimes
> end-users even notice.  But you can't really expect end-users to look
> too deeply, or care too much about what's happening inside the box.

I agree. But as a computer scientist I know (or should be knowledgeably)
about how ethernet, RAID, etc works!

And furthermore, as an end user I see the benefit even though I don't know
how it works. But how does a 1) web developer 2) CEO 3) VC investor 4) my
parents 5) oprah see the benefit right now? Ask them. They don't know.

All I'm talking about is to make this mainstream!