Re: Linked Data Mash-a-thon

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:54:49 -0400
To: Bernhard Schandl <bernhard.schandl@univie.ac.at>
cc: Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com>, Corey Leong <cleong@gr8c.org>, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Todd J Schneider <todd.schneider@raytheon.com>, Giovanni Tummarello <g.tummarello@gmail.com>, Brian Manley <brian.manley@gmail.com>, public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

> > Let me rephrase: I urge everybody to try to explain what Linked Data
> > and the
> > Semantic Web is to 1) web developer 2) CEO 3) VC investors 4) my
> > parents 5)
> > Oprah!
>
> Except of 1), don't try to explain what Linked Data is: show them cool
> applications instead and how they can benefit from them.

I think both prospects are doomed.  Linked Data is as cool as ethernet
or fiber optics or RAID or GPL or Python or gzip or JPEG or
transactional processing.  Those are all very, very cool to the people
who use them.  They are great technologies that solve a whole set of
problems very nicely, and end-users have seen great benefits.  Sometimes
end-users even notice.  But you can't really expect end-users to look
too deeply, or care too much about what's happening inside the box.

    -- Sandro