Re: New LOD Cloud - Please send us links to missing data sources

From: Giovanni Tummarello <g.tummarello@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 01:30:28 +0100
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Cc: Joshua Tauberer <jt@occams.info>, public-lod@w3.org
> congrats and kudos to all those who've made this happen. I think the cloud
> diagrams are proving a very compelling visual for people who don't care
> about nerdy detail but understand the idea of interlinked datasets.

Yes they're great for handwaving if the audience has never seen it,
otherwise its likely counterproductive

The problem is that LOD has been stuck here 2 years really now, not a single
advance not a single application (of the LOD model, not of the data, the
data is obviously useful and expressing in RDF is also starting to be seen
as useful) .

That the bubbles continue to grown is however a sociological interesting
phenomen :-)

On the positive side,  i recently reviewed some work by someone who has a
very interesting way to create a diagram which actually helps by showing
which queries can be asked.  Too bad you wont see it in action at ESWC
because the demo paper was  "not up to the springer standards for
legibility", according to some other reviewer.

Giovanni