Re: New LOD Cloud - Please send us links to missing data sources

Giovanni Tummarello wrote:

>     congrats and kudos to all those who've made this happen. I think
>     the cloud diagrams are proving a very compelling visual for people
>     who don't care about nerdy detail but understand the idea of
>     interlinked datasets.
>

> Yes they're great for handwaving if the audience has never seen it,
> otherwise its likely counterproductive
>
> The problem is that LOD has been stuck here 2 years really now, not a
> single advance not a single application (of the LOD model, not of the
> data, the data is obviously useful and expressing in RDF is also
> starting to be seen as useful) .
I don't agree with you.

You have a vision and notion of a LOD app. and of course you're entitled
to that, but it really isn't fair to present that as a blanket reality.

What is a LOD application in your world view? We really have to speak a
little clearer these days with more specifics.

As Hugh commented, and I concur with, a LOD solution should simply tap
into the FORCE that LOD injects into the Web. In short, users shouldn't
even think in terms of LOD applications they should simply think in
terms of the Web delivering more capabilities to applications and solutions.

> That the bubbles continue to grown is however a sociological
> interesting phenomen :-)
>
> On the positive side,  i recently reviewed some work by someone who
> has a very interesting way to create a diagram which actually helps by
> showing which queries can be asked.  Too bad you wont see it in action
> at ESWC because the demo paper was  "not up to the springer standards
> for legibility", according to some other reviewer.
Well, they can use the FORCE and put it out. When did ESWC have monopoly
over the ability to put something out to the public that has value?

Kingsley

> Giovanni

President & CEO