Re: LOD Data Sets, Licensing, and AWS

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:17:20 -0400
To: Ian Davis <lists@iandavis.com>
CC: public-lod@w3.org
Ian Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:00 AM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>

>         There will be dozens or hundreds of other documents that use
>         the same URI and the owners of those datasets would like
>         attribution for their work. For example, I can make some
>         unique assertions about you that no-one else has and I would
>         like those attributed to me - using your URI would not provide
>         that attribution.
>

>     But your URIs conveys your point of view. The important thing here
>     is that their is a route back to your data space; the place from
>     which your point of view originates.
>
>     If the pathways to the origins of data are obscured we are
>     recreating yesterday's economy (imho), one in which original
>     creators of work as easily dislocated by middlemen. An economy in
>     which incentives for data publishing are minimal for those who
>     have invested time and money in quality data curation and
>     maintenance.
>

> I'm not talking about obscuring any pathways. I'm talking about using
> existing URIs and adding more information. If I publish the following
> RDF as part of a set of reviews at http://example.com/reviews then
> how, in your scheme, am I supposed to get attribution?
>
> <http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
> <http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/%7Ekidehen>> a foaf:weblog ;
> rev:text "Kingsley's blog, often containing pertinent lod postings" .
>

> Ian

Ian,

Via the following statements in your own data space (assuming the review
doesn't already include metadata that exposes author or creator URIs):

<http://example.com/reviews> a foaf:Document;
foaf:primarytopic  <http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
<http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/%7Ekidehen>> ;
dc:creator <#you>.
..
..

Also note, there is implicit data provider attribution to whoever owns
or runs <http://example.com/reviews>, assuming this is an HTTP URI
that's implicitly bound to its metadata (as per Linked Data meme).

President & CEO