Re: Bestbuy.com goes Semantic Web the GoodRelations Way

Hi Aldo:
> Kingsley: Does any of the upper level ontologies or LOD datasets
> provide industry sectors with a useful level of granularity?

Note that GoodRelations provides the gr:hasISICv4 and the gr:hasNAICS

properties for linking a gr:BusinessEntity to the proper ISIC/NAICS
category code for that company.

For a more precise description of the range of skills or products
offered, one should use the regular gr:Offering pattern, though, because
a one-dimensional industry classification is pretty much limited.

http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#hasISICv4

Definition: The International Standard of Industrial Classification of
All Economic Activities (ISIC), Revision 4 code for a particular
Business Entity. See http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/isic-4.asp
for more information. Note: While ISIC codes are sometimes misused for
classifying products or services, they are designed and suited only for
classifying business establishments.

http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#hasNAICS

Definition: The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
code for a particular Business Entity. See
http://www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/ for more details. Note: While NAICS
codes are sometimes misused for classifying products or services, they
are designed and suited only for classifying business establishments.

Best
Martin

>> Congratulations to whoever made it happen!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> PS. In some cases, its a good idea to stop at the first kiss... but I
>> think that the prospect of permeating the e-commerce dinosaur is sexy
>> as hell ;)

>>> Yes, but I would say SDQ in addition to SEO :-)
>>>

>>> Links:
>>> 1. http://tr.im/iv9e -- post about Serendipitous Discovery Quotient (SDQ)
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
>>> President & CEO OpenLink Software     Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
>>>

>> --
>> Aldo Bucchi
>> U N I V R Z
>> Office: +56 2 795 4532
>> Mobile:+56 9 7623 8653
>> skype:aldo.bucchi
>> http://www.univrz.com/
>> http://aldobucchi.com/
>>
>> PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
>> This message is only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
>> addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If
>> you are not the intended recipient, please do not distribute or copy this
>> communication, by e-mail or otherwise. Instead, please notify us immediately by
>> return e-mail.
>> INFORMACIÓN PRIVILEGIADA Y CONFIDENCIAL
>> Este mensaje está destinado sólo a la persona u organización al cual está
>> dirigido y podría contener información privilegiada y confidencial. Si usted no
>> es el destinatario, por favor no distribuya ni copie esta comunicación, por
>> email o por otra vía. Por el contrario, por favor notifíquenos inmediatamente
>> vía e-mail.

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail: mhepp@computer.org
phone:  +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:    +49-(0)89-6004-4620
www:    http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/ (group)
 	http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:  mfhepp

Check out the GoodRelations vocabulary for E-Commerce on the Web of Data!

Webcast explaining the Web of Data for E-Commerce:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Tool for registering your business:
----------------------------------
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
-------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page and resources for developers:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Upcoming events:
Full-day tutorial at ESWC 2009: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in One Day: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey

http://www.eswc2009.org/program-menu/tutorials/70

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009: Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology
More information: http://www.semantic-conference.com/session/1881/

Slides: http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp