Re: sameas.org

From: Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 09:50:51 +0100
To: Chris Wallace <Chris.Wallace@uwe.ac.uk>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
CC: Ian Millard <icm@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
On 04/06/2009 09:26, "Chris Wallace" <Chris.Wallace@uwe.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hugh
>
> This is excellent stuff and I totally support your views about composable Sem
> Web tools:
Brian Kernighan et al. must be proud of us.

> Just a couple of observations:
>
> - the AJAX interface is neat but its no good for browsing: when returning to a
> list of links, status has been lost so an unfolded list is folded again, and
> there is no indicated of visited links. I would favour conventional web
> behaviour.
But when Ian showed me I thought it was so cool :-)
Point noted.

> - not your problem but I note that search via Sindice is rather disappointing
> - for example
>
> http://sameas.org/html?q=Kiwi   (a general term for a flightless bird found in
> New Zealand divided into several species, but also a colloquial expression for
> a New Zealander and a Kiwifruit)
>
> throws up a radio station, an animated cartoon and lots of wordnet links to a
> juggle of plumbing but no juice.  No sign of
>
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Kiwi however
Ah.
We only look at the first n results from Sindice, and clearly kiwi is a
popular name.
Clicking on the sindice link will show you what we got.
However, I see that using "kiwi bird" gives a decent return, so all is not
lost.
Best
Hugh