Re: "How to Publish Linked Data" vs "Dereferencing HTTP URIs"

On 10 Jul 2009, at 07:07, Christopher St John wrote:
> I'm putting together a quick presentation on 303s and
> Linked Data for the local Dallas Semantic Web Meetup
> (it's part of a series of 10-minute lightning presentations)

Don't forget to mention hash URIs, they are often easier to deploy
than 303-emitting URIs in practice.

In addition to what Chris said:

> Q2) The "Note" vs "Recommendation" thing is formal spec
> speak and may not mean what it appears to mean.
> Can someone comment? The wording "This is a draft
> document and may be updated, replaced or obsoleted
> by other documents at any time" in a Linked Data foundation
> document is fine if you're just experimenting, but could
> be alarming if you're considering, say, writing a commercial
> tool...

There are two main reasons for why there is no Linked Data W3C
Recommendation:

a) Usually, only new specifications get W3C Recommendation status.
Linked Data does not involve any new specifications, but it's a
collection of good practices for the use of existing specifications.
Thus, it has to be described in lowly W3C Notes.

b) Recommendations can only be published by Working Groups chartered
to do so. It's a *much* more heavyweight process than publishing Notes.

I would argue that commercial tools SHOULD be written before the
technology has solidified. That way, your experience while developing
the tool, and your customers' requirements, can influence the
development of the technology. All successful technologies are
evolving; most are just in the helpful habit of slapping a new version
number on the technology every few years. Linked Data hasn't been
around long enough to do that yet.

Best,
Richard