From: "Martin Hepp (UniBW)" <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 16:51:15 +0100
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
Cc: <public-lod@w3.org>, semantic-web at W3C <semantic-web@w3c.org>
Subject: Re: .htaccess a major bottleneck to Semantic Web adoption / Was:  Re:   RDFa vs RDF/XML and content negotiation

Dear all:
Fyi - I am in contact with Google as for the clarification of what kind of empty div/span elements are considered acceptable in the context of RDFa. It may take a few days to get an official statement. Just so that you know it is being taken care of...

Martin

Mark Birbeck wrote:

Hi Martin,

b) download RDFa snippet that just represents the RDF/XML content (i.e. such
that it does not have to be consolidated with the "presentation level" part
of the Web page.

By coincidence, I just read this:

  Hidden div's -- don't do it!
  It can be tempting to add all the content relevant for a rich snippet
  in one place on the page, mark it up, and then hide the entire block
  of text using CSS or other techniques. Don't do this! Mark up the
  content where it already exists. Google will not show content from
  hidden div's in Rich Snippets, and worse, this can be considered
  cloaking by Google's spam detection systems. [1]

Regards,

Mark

[1] <http://knol.google.com/k/google-rich-snippets/google-rich-snippets/32la2chf8l79m/1#>

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  mhepp@computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Check out the GoodRelations vocabulary for E-Commerce on the Web of Data!

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp

Tool for registering your business:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page and resources for developers:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Tutorial materials:
Tutorial at ESWC 2009: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in One Day: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_Tutorial_ESWC2009