Re: .htaccess a major bottleneck to Semantic Web adoption / Was: Re: RDFa vs RDF/XML and content negotiation

Dear all:
Fyi - I am in contact with Google as for the clarification of what kind
of empty div/span elements are considered acceptable in the context of
RDFa. It may take a few days to get an official statement. Just so that
you know it is being taken care of...

Martin

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>

>> b) download RDFa snippet that just represents the RDF/XML content (i.e. such
>> that it does not have to be consolidated with the "presentation level" part
>> of the Web page.
>>

> By coincidence, I just read this:
>
>   Hidden div's -- don't do it!
>   It can be tempting to add all the content relevant for a rich snippet
>   in one place on the page, mark it up, and then hide the entire block
>   of text using CSS or other techniques. Don't do this! Mark up the
>   content where it already exists. Google will not show content from
>   hidden div's in Rich Snippets, and worse, this can be considered
>   cloaking by Google's spam detection systems. [1]
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
>
> [1] <http://knol.google.com/k/google-rich-snippets/google-rich-snippets/32la2chf8l79m/1#>

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  mhepp@computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Check out the GoodRelations vocabulary for E-Commerce on the Web of Data!

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp

Tool for registering your business:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page and resources for developers:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Tutorial materials:
Tutorial at ESWC 2009: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in One Day: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_Tutorial_ESWC2009