Re: DBTropes.org, a TVTropes.org linked data wrapper

Dan Brickley wrote:

>> Some further info can be found on http://dbtropes.org/ .
> Ah, this is great! :) Nice work!

:-)

[Annotating TV shows while watching]
> So if your show had some instance of a particular trope / cliche /
> pattern, you could tag the exact part of the show.

That's a cool scenario. There's a lot of "annotation inheritance"
problems here though. E.g., an episode should probably inherit all
annotations of individual scenes, a series should aggregate all
annotations of individual episodes, etc. - of course, then many problems
with inconsistencies arise. A lot of work but certainly worth it :-).

> But ... did you consider expressing the tropes/features using SKOS?
> do they form a simple hierarchy somehow?

Extracting the Tropes hierarchy was my main goal when starting DBTropes
since Skipforward can make good use of proper feature hierarchies.
Unfortunately, this is much more complicated to extract than other TV
Tropes information - wiki pages listing tropes and wiki categories
grouping tropes are there but they are less consistently structured than
normal Trope/Item pages and there is quite some noise. Investigating
this more thoroughly is the next todo on my list :-).

Regards
Malte
--
Malte Kiesel