Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Fwd: Your message to Dbpedia-discussion awaits moderator approval

From: Tim Finin <finin@cs.umbc.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:51:41 -0400
To: Kavitha Srinivas <ksrinivs@gmail.com>
CC: Anja Jentzsch <anja@anjeve.de>, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>, "dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net" <dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net>, Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>
Kavitha Srinivas wrote:
> Actually I wonder if it makes sense to annotate the relation with the
> actual conditional probability as suggested by Tim. We found the
> probabilities quite useful in different applications. If we go this
> route we could also send you the set of types with very low
> probabilities -- which is very useful if you want to know for instance
> that an instance is almost never both a Car and a Person.

Publishing the conditional probabilities available in some form (not necessarily
RDF) is a great idea.  People could use this data in many ways, I think.  It's
less clear to me how this might be integrated into DBpedia or the LOD cloud. But
having the data available should facilitate experimentation with how to best
use it.