Re: Core Ontology on Events -- Re: looking for an event ontology/vocabulary

Dear All,

I was abroad these last weeks, and unable then to follow this thread
with the necessary attention. It seems however evident to me that, when
dealing contemporaneously with terms like "ontology" and "event", one
should have at least a look at NKRL (Narrative Knowledge Representation
Language). NKRL is, in fact, a language and software environment
expressly created for dealing in a somewhat 'intelligent' way with
"narratives", i.e., in practice, with streams of (complex) events.

To do this, NKRL makes use of two different ontologies, a 'standard'
(binary) one for dealing with 'static notions' like, among other things,
"objects and persons participating in events", and an n-ary one for
describing general classes of events like "moving an object", "making a
trip", "starting a company", "having a positive/negative attitude
for/against someone/something", "living in a place", "receiving some
money", "feeling ill" etc. Of course, NKRL is also endowed with all sort
of conceptual tools to represent temporal information and event
correlations ("connectivity phenomena"), and with high-level inference
tools. Interested people can consult my recent (Springer, 2009) book on
this subject: "Representation and Management of Narrative Information -
Theoretical Principles and Implementation", see
http://www.springer.com/computer/artificial/book/978-1-84800-077-3 or,
for an introduction, my paper at the "2009 AAAI Spring Symposium on
Intelligent Complex Event Processing//" in Stanford.

Regards,

Gian Piero Zarri
University Paris-Est/Paris12
LiSSi Laboratory