Re: Segment RDF on BBC Programmes

On 29 Apr 2009, at 10:17, Yves Raimond wrote:
>> We're aware of the limitations of mod_rewrite to effectively and
>> correctly
>> implement content-negotiation, please see note at [1] and issue at
>> [2]. Any
>> suggestion on this would be greatly appreciated!
>
> I've played a bit with several ways of doing it. mod_negotiation seems
> to be the most sensible solution. However, I did not find a way to
> make it run with non-static files (e.g. DESCRIBE on a SPARQL
> end-point). If not using that, then I think the only proper solution
> left is to code the content negotiation in the actual web application
> (that's what URISpace does, and I think that's what Pubby does).

I reached exactly the same conclusion. I would recommend against the
mod_rewrite hack because it is not a full implementation of content
negotiation. mod_negotiation works great for static files, for
everything else you should probably code your own solution. (And
everyone who codes their own solution gets it wrong the first time ;-)

In practice, content negotiation is quite an interoperability
nightmare. One more point pro RDFa, I suppose.

Best,
Richard