Re: A VoCamp Galway 2008 success story

Hi Michael,

Michael Hausenblas wrote:
> Francois,
>
> Thanks for your feedback and the question. Though I'm not sure what you
> technically mean with 'my:links is a named graph' :)
The system output the links in a named graph. See the following example
in TRiG:

<my:links>
{
  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/fusion/dblp#document1632795751_264>
  owl:same_as
<http://kmi.open.ac.uk/fusion/dblp#document1ad8378bff1fe32cd13989741b50fe3eaef0db93>
.
}

We can then describe it as a void:Linkset as I've described below. This
allows to attach other information such as the author of the linkset,
the parameters of the algorithm used to generate it, etc.

> I think the answer
> is simple: indeed we decided to model datasets and linksets
> independently from each other. The following example from the (not yet
> publicly available) voiD guide may illustrate this:
>
> Let's assume the two well-known linked datasets DBpedia and DBLP:
>
> :DBpedia void:containsLinks :DBpedia2DBLP  .
>
> :DBpedia2DBLP rdf:type void:Linkset ;
>               void:target :DBLP .
>
> So, it is a linking *from* DBpedia *to* DBLP; as RDF is a direct graph,
> this makes sense quite a lot (the subject 'sits' in DBpedia, the object
> in DBLP).
>
> IIRC, we had your option in mind as well [1] but decided to go for the
> current modeling due to the above reasons. Actually, as I think, the two
> modelings are equivalent, just with reversed directions:
>
> YOUR model (if I got it right):
>
>  :dataset1 <- void:target - :links - void:target - > :dataset2

Right.

> voiD model:
>
>  :dataset1 - void:containsLinks -> :links - void:target - > :dataset2

There's quite a difference between the two models. In the actual voiD
model it is supposed that the links are included in one of the datasets.
  This approach raises again the owl:same_as related problems of stating
logical equivalence of resources as part of the dataset itself.
Experience in ontology alignment shows that it's wiser to consider the
linkset as a separate entity pointing to both (or more) datasets. This
also allows to have more than one linkset for a given pair of datasets
(why not, I can trust one linkset more than the other...). Finding links
from a dataset is done by querying on void:Linkset objects pointing to
this dataset. Actually, this approach is followed by the oddLinker of
LinkedMDB, a linkset being recorded as a oddlinker:linkage_run entity.

Cheers,
Francois