Re: Countries and ISO 3166

François-Paul, Simon

For the details
1.  lingvoj.org provides so far URI only for ISO 639 languages, not for
ISO 3166 countries.
2. At the time the OASIS Technical Committee published the geolang "PSI
set" at http://psi.oasis-open.org/geolang/iso3166/ we wanted to just
show what an official organisation could do to publish permanent URIs
for its reference "subjects". Hoping ISO or any authoritative
organisation will follow up. Note that it was done in a topi map-ish
spirit, so those URIs are not exactly conformant to Linked Data
recommended practice. Remind you this was published in 2002.

For the big picture I wish we had some ISO codes  Linked Data space
maintained by ISO itself, but there is no sign of such a thing like ISO
entering the Linked Data space AFAIK. But this is a general issue I
think the "Linked Data shopping list" is trying to address.
Authoritative organisations defining those widely used codes are not
rushing into publishing those codes as linked data.
So you have those private initiatives like geonames.org and lingvoj.org,
of which launch maintenance is a private initiative, depending on good
will and bandwidth of basically a single person for each resource.
Availability and reliability of such codes are far too important to
consider such a solution sustainable, so we as a community have really
to be proactive towards the authoritative sources, find good arguments
to push them to publish, and help them technically to do so properly.
Mondeca started to do that with french INSEE two years ago, see
http://rdf.insee.fr/geo/, but the result so far is very small compared
to the potential (and not even proper linked data).

Bernard

--

*Bernard Vatant
*Knowledge Engineering