Re: The king is dressed in void

Hello Martin!

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@uibk.ac.at> wrote:
>>However, there are some cases where you can't really afford that, for
>>example when "looking inside" takes too much time - for example
>>because of the size of "inside".
>
> But how do you decide which part of the "inside" is contained in the
> "outside" description? If you want all details from the inside in the
> outside, then you have to replicate the whole inside - which does not gain
> anything. And if the outside is just a subset (or even: proper abstraction)
> of the inside, then you will face "false positive" (the outside indicates
> something would be inside, but it actually isn't) and "false negative"
> (there is something inside which the outside does not tell) situations. Now
> for me the whole discussion boils down to the question on whether one can
> produce good descriptions that are (1) substantially shorter than the inside
> data and (2), on average, keep the false positive and false negative cases
> low. So you would have to find a proper trade-off and then show by means of
> a quantitative evaluation that there are relevant situations in which your
> approach increases retrieval performance.

I gave it a try, and described my experience at:
http://blog.dbtune.org/post/2008/06/12/Describing-the-content-of-RDF-datasets

I am not suggesting this is the best way to do it, but at least it was
quite simple. Also, the object of void:example i used in this post is
just the result of a DESCRIBE query on the end-point - so it can be
synchronised with the actual content of the dataset).

Cheers!