Re: freebase parallax: user interface for browsing graphs of data

Richard H. McCullough wrote:

> Very nice!!!
>
> How is your knowledge base structured?  What language?
>
> Can I download your program to my computer?
>
> Dick McCullough
> Ayn Rand do speak od mKR done;
> mKE do enhance od Real Intelligence done;
> knowledge := man do identify od existent done;
> knowledge haspart proposition list;
> http://mKRmKE.org/
David,

For purpose of clarity and broader discourse (I know we've been over
this in private), what is the Linked Data and/or Semantic Web oriented
value of this very cool visualization?

Put differently, it would be nice if I could beam a query down the data
graph exposed by you very nice visualization rather than being confined
to the options presented by your application.

At the very least, what's the harm in exposing the Freebase URLs in
these Web Pages? If you do that, at the very least, other user agents
can do stuff with the graphs (Linked Data) that you are visualizing.
The cost of this little tweak is extremely low and the upside extremely
high.

Cool stuff for sure, but I would like Parallax to be a nice Linked Data
Web contribution also :-)  Freebase (basic) is part of the Web, but
Parallax is sort of confining me to a Freebase enclave by not exposing
URLs (where I currently see: javascript:{}).

My fundamental argument remains this:

Visualizations are good, but graph visualizations are not the sole keys
to the treasures that reside within a Graph. Effective traversal (e.g.
query beaming SPARQL or MQL) is also part of the puzzle, and it would be
nice if we could always offer the visualization and the
graph-query-beam-beachhead as part of a single Web information resource
deliverable. There are always reasons why one or more humans (due
inherent cognitive prowess) would seek to view the same data
differently, no matter how compelling the initial visualization, due to
the fact that data visualizations are inherently subjective projections.

Links:

1. http://tinyurl.com/5of2qu - Abraham Lincoln as Linked Data from
Freebase  ( I get no triples with Parallax pages since the Freebase Data
Sources aren't exposed)

Note: The Freebase RDFization Cartridge (Wrapper, Scrapper etc.) will be
better i.e., right now there are too many literal property values that
should be URIs (this fix is coming). Ditto proper lookup driven meshing
with DBpedia.

Kingsley

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Huynh" <dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>

President & CEO