Yo! Good timing, Re: ANN: SCOT specification

are you using SCOT in any financial applications?  Law enforcement
applications, like white collar crimes?
see below,
dh

Final Report of the Advisory Committee on
Improvements to Financial Reporting to the
United States Securities and Exchange Commission

Prepared by: SEC Advisory Committee on Improvements to
Financial Reporting,  Honorable Robert C. Pozen, Chairman, with
a Stellar  Committee and SEC Staff: Conrad Hewitt , James Kroeker ,
John W. White, Shelley Parratt, Wayne Carnall , James Daly, Paul
Beswick,
Adam Brown, Bert Fox, Todd E. Hardiman, Stephanie Hunsaker,
Shelly Luisi, K. Ramesh, Nili Shah, Amy Starr, Dana Swain, Brett
Williams
and Official Observers Robert Hertz, FASB; Charles Holm, Federal
Reserve Board; Kristen Jaconi, U.S. Department of the Treasury;
Phil Laskawy, International Accounting Standards Committee
Foundation; and Mark Olson, PCAOB
August 1, 2008
http://www.sec.gov/about/offices/oca/acifr/acifr-finalreport.pdf
Reviewed by Dwight Hines

This is a near revolutionary document in that it stresses the
importance of transparency,  and notes repeatedly how complexity
blocks, masks, and inhibits transparency.   In addition, they are
forcing the issue of tags, metamarkers, XBRL (eXtensible Business
Reporting Language), and KPIs (key performance indicators) that will
allow rapid and thorough contrasts and comparisons within and across
industries that are not humanly or machine-based possibilities at
this time.   What is wonderful about all of this is that the Report
acknowledges the context of international financial standards,
standards that are evolving more rapidly than anyone thought possible
just five years ago, and the recommendations are in harmony with the
international context.

I believe, without any data, and not knowing of a single, simple
empirical study, that the logic and facts that support this Reports
embrace of private sector transparency, a substantive, real
transparency at the different levels of understanding that exist for
commercial arenas such as the stock market — a transparency the
Report states repeatedly must be a transparency from the perspective
of the investor, not the perspective of someone in management or
accounting or government — such transparency will be a positive
material influence on government transparency.   It is not surprising
to you, if you have engaged in  attempts to obtain government
generated or captured data, that one of the most persuasive arguments
to use with those who are reluctant to provide the information, as
required by state or federal law, is that the private sector makes
similar information available in their SEC filings and you can
download, without charge, those filings from the websites of all
publicly held corporations.

My personal feeling, after spending another few days of my life going
through financial statements that have improved logarithymically
since the 1980s and 90s, partially because the SEC put out their free
downloadable book, A Plain English Handbook: How to Create Clear SEC
Disclosure Documents, 1998, < http://www.sec.gov/about/offices/oca/
acifr/acifr-finalreport.pdf>,  a book emphasizing that murky writing,
unnecessary complexity, or necessary complexity that could be
explained in simpler language, is that we still have a ways to go on
increasing transparency by increasing the clarity of writing in the
private sector.   It’s not just the accountants, auditors, and the
gnomish actuaries who like to swim in jargon and multifaceted
buzzwords that make the wasteful Byzantine organized crime
bookkeeping practices look desirable, it’s also the faceless ones who
write the documents with footnotes that are muddy, distortion prone
in crafty ways, and misleading because the information is not given
in a complete, or completely accurate context.

I believe, without data specific to private sector transparency or
government transparency, that people have a need to understand that
makes transparency not just healthy for fair and honest government
and not just so the investors who do their homework can maximize
their returns on investments, but because the need to understand, to
grasp how things work, even abstractions like derivatives and
different buying and selling strategies, is an inseparable part of
our being human.  So, when patterns or systems or mechanisms are not
open, when they are reified into poor explanations or worse,
misleading or false descriptions, we miss out on an experience that
is uniquely human — understanding.   When understanding happens — and
if you have taught in a university, you know it happens fairly often,
you are warmed by the knowing that wisdom is not far away, and she is
always a welcome visitor.

I see this report as being a stimulus to needed research on the
causal interweavings of government transparency and private sector
transparency.  Intuitively, the relationship must be a reciprocal
one, with government leading the private sector at different times,
but constrained by context, and then the effect becomes the cause and
identifying the context, which will have changed, will be the more
difficult task, and you find that the private sector leads the
government in transparency.  The people who have been studying the
complex dynamics of ecological systems, live systems,  like the
Comparative Toxigenomics Database <http://ctd.mdibl.org/>,  are
clearing paths for us with their use of XML in multiple large
databases of genes, diseases, and chemicals, using simple causal, and
not so simple robust multivariate statistical methods.

Today is a good day to write these hardworking friends of
transparency who wrote this Report to thank them because the major
effects of these new levels of transparency — they write “consistent
transparency” — will be an increase in fairness in competition, an
increase in innovation, and an increase in the quality of economic
progress, or economic development, as Stiglitz wrote about not so
many years ago (Joseph Stiglitz, “Transparency in Government”, pp.
27-44, in Roumeen Islam, Editor, The Right to Tell: The Role of Mass
Media in Economic Development, 2002, World Bank).

If you know any of the committee members or staff members or
observers who worked on this Report, let them know that you owe them
a lunch or a dinner for work well done.  Be sure to treat them to one
or the other because they have done right and good.

Dwight Hines
St. Augustine, Florida