Re: Visualizing LOD Linkage

Peter Ansell wrote:
> ----- "Yves Raimond" <yves.raimond@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hello!
>>

>>> It depends on whether you know that the external references are
>>>
>> distinct just based on the URI string. If someone links out to
>> multiple formats using external resource links then they would have to
>> be counted as multiple links as you have no way of knowing that they
>> are different, except in the case where you reserve these types of
>> links as RDF literals.
>>
>> I am not sure if I interpret it correctly - do you mean that you
>> could
>> link to two URIs which are in fact sameAs in the target dataset?
>> Indeed, in that case, the measure would be slightly higher than what
>> it should be. However, I would think that it is rarely (if not never)
>> the case.

Peter,
> I personally don't put sameAs on URI's which relate to the same thing but are really just different representations, ie, the HTML version doesn't get sameAs the RDF version.

I really don't believe anyone in this community advocates using
owl:sameAs between representations. We use owl:sameAs between Entity
URIs while representations are negotiated (content negotiation),
discovered via <link rel=".."/>, or RDFized etc..

If people knowingly mapped owl:sameAs between representations that
weren't identical, then of course this would be flawed if the
representations weren't identical. But this isn't what's happening in
the LOD space in general,  or it's flagship effort: DBpedia.

<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Berlin> is not the representation of the
entity Berlin, it's a pointer (Identifier) used  by the deploying
platform to transmit the description of said entity using a
representations desired by the requester/consumer/agent .  This entire
mechanism isn't new to computing, it's how all our programs work at the
lowest levels i.e., we interact with "data by reference" using pointers [2].

This matter is heart and soul of linked data on the Web or across any
other computing medium that manipulates data.

Links:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dereferencable_Uniform_Resource_Identifiers
2. http://cslibrary.stanford.edu/104/  (which clearly needs  Linked Data
Web variant)

Kingsley

> [SNIP]
>> (link appears to be broken)
>>

> Springer Link DOI system must be broken. Try the following
>
> http://www.springerlink.com/content/w611j82w7v4672r3/fulltext.pdf
>
> The following image link is also quite interesting:
>
> http://bio2rdf.wiki.sourceforge.net/space/showimage/bio2rdfmap_blanc.png
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen