RE: Developing LinkedData.org

Tom Heath wrote:
> The great thing about being a group with collectively many technical
> skills is that we can make stuff happen :) However, I'd urge a little
> bit of caution here... If there is a clear identified need for Drupal
> at this stage then let's go for it. On the other hand I think it would be
> a shame to introduce another system into the equation if it risks not
> getting much uptake at this stage. My gut feeling is to walk before we
> run, and concentrate our efforts on the wiki for the time being. What
> do others think?

I agree, my suggestion for Drupal was not so much to make it
"yet-another-system" to put content into, but rather use it as a technology
demonstration of linked data in a *hugely* popular CMS system.

I think having a best-practice, LOD enabled Drupal system configured and
more importantly, talked about is very important. Hell, I would love to have
a best-practice, LOD enabled Drupal system as well!

It would be great if a NON semantic web geek could:

1. look at a running Drupal LOD system
2. play with some LOD mashups/meshups
3. be *convinced* that this is something of benefit for them
4. read some docs on LinkedData.org that take them step by step to take
their already running Drupal system and LOD it.
5. publish their effort/story as a blog post, link it with triply's registry
[1]

Very few people understand this stuff well (I can be a bit fuzzy sometimes).
Having a tuned beast by the LOD crew itself and the write-up, blogs posts on
how it was done will be invaluable.

Triplify [2] is one way to do this to existing installs. They are reaching
out to the community. Let's help them by bringing the best LOD brains to
bear but with the "real-world" web developer in mind. I know there are other
ways of LOD-ing, but this one is the easiest, just drop in 4 PHP files and
done -- well basically :)

I would be happy to assist with the write-up and blog posts for step 4
above. Step 2 and 3 are IMHO the most important and I again would be happy
to assist, but need to draw on more resources!

Once this is done with Drupal it could flow onto other popular Open Source
web system: Joomla, Wordpress, etc.

Cheers,

David Peterson

[1] http://triplify.org/Registry