Re: LOD Cloud Diagram Licensing Added to Wiki

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:40:13 +0100
Cc: "Marc Wick" <marc@geonames.org>, <public-lod@w3.org>
To: "Tom Heath" <Tom.Heath@talis.com>

On 10 Apr 2008, at 12:18, Tom Heath wrote:
>> A slide deck would be a "Collection", not an "Adaption".
>> There is no restriction on how you license your collection,
>> only the CC-BY-SA part must remain under that license.
>
> Thanks for the clarification/pointer; that's really helpful. At the
> risk
> of being pedantic, one question... What if I layer other elements on
> top
> of the image, as in slide 18 and later at [1]? Does this now
> constitute
> a derivative work?

I would think yes.

> Presumably if so then I simply need to license the
> derivative work as CC-BY-SA, but not the Collection as a whole??

That's where things get a bit murky, but I would think that this is a
reasonable interpretation: The one slide with the modified diagram is
an Adaption, and therefore must be CC-BY-SA licensed. The slide deck
is a collection that contains your Adaption as one part, and therefore
can be subject to a more restrictive license.

> BTW, I note my own ommission of the licensing statement for the
> cloud in
> that slide set. I'll fix that.

This is a very early version, there was no explicit license back then,
probably I or Chris sent you the picture directly for use in your
slides.

Richard