RE: LOD Cloud Diagram Licensing Added to Wiki

From: Tom Heath <Tom.Heath@talis.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:18:53 +0100
To: "Richard Cyganiak" <richard@cyganiak.de>
Cc: "Marc Wick" <marc@geonames.org>, <public-lod@w3.org>

Hi Richard,

> > Having said that, I did ponder the share-alike restriction,
> as I was
> > concerned that making slides including the diagram constituted a
> > derivative work. The CC site gives little guidance on this that I
> > could find - it seems to be a thorny issue.
>
> The fine print of the CC-BY-SA license makes this quite clear
> (I guess you only looked at what they charmingly call the
> "human-readable"
> version).

<cough/> Guilty as charged.

> A slide deck would be a "Collection", not an "Adaption".
> There is no restriction on how you license your collection,
> only the CC-BY-SA part must remain under that license.

Thanks for the clarification/pointer; that's really helpful. At the risk
of being pedantic, one question... What if I layer other elements on top
of the image, as in slide 18 and later at [1]? Does this now constitute
a derivative work? Presumably if so then I simply need to license the
derivative work as CC-BY-SA, but not the Collection as a whole??

BTW, I note my own ommission of the licensing statement for the cloud in
that slide set. I'll fix that.

Cheers,

Tom.

[1] http://linkeddata.org/slides/2008-02-amsterdam-catch.pdf