RE: imdb as linked open data?

very useful richard... much thanks

"Do you believe that any two web pages about Madonna are the same
thing?"  -- it's not about what things *are*, it's about how we choose
to use things in the practice of communication? imdb URLs are an
opportunity to identify people and movies on a large scale, and it's
just sitting there on the (Doc) Web...

I don't care much about "webpages" actually (what are those? ;-0  )... I
don't believe that "webpages" and their URLs are the same thing... (you
can probably tell I'm no big fan of the distinction between "information
resource" and "resource"... no diff to me)

what I believe is that the following 2 URLs can be used, in practice, in
certain contexts (perhaps NOT LOD?), to identify an equivalent
concept...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_(entertainer)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000187/

when you say "I think this is true as long as you stay within a single
organization." -- you are on to something there, though at the BBC we
are beginning to use reference data lists/controlled vocabularies from
*outside* the BBC to annotate content inside... though you might prefer
we be using Dbpedia URIs, it's easier for our editors to tag our content
using Wikipedia URLs, because they can confirm and choose using the
Wikipedia website itself -- and if needed we can convert to dbpedia when
we publish LOD externally...

"Do you believe that any two newspaper articles about Madonna are the
same thing?" -- actually, many times they are, because or Reuters and AP
syndication...

again, I'm expressly not trying to wind people up, just expressing my
personal take on all this, and trying to learn from what you all are
saying... much obliged for the useful debate...

best--

--cs