RE: imdb as linked open data?

From: Georgi Kobilarov <gkob@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 19:32:05 +0200
To: "Chris Sizemore" <Chris.Sizemore@bbc.co.uk>, "Richard Cyganiak" <richard@cyganiak.de>
Cc: <public-lod@w3.org>, "Michael Smethurst" <Michael.Smethurst@bbc.co.uk>, "Silver Oliver" <Silver.Oliver@bbc.co.uk>, <pepper@ontopia.net>

Chris,

> when you say "I think this is true as long as you stay within a single
> organization." -- you are on to something there, though at the BBC we
> are beginning to use reference data lists/controlled vocabularies from
> *outside* the BBC to annotate content inside... though you might
prefer
> we be using Dbpedia URIs, it's easier for our editors to tag our
> content
> using Wikipedia URLs, because they can confirm and choose using the
> Wikipedia website itself -- and if needed we can convert to dbpedia
> when
> we publish LOD externally...

That's a very important distinction: user workflow and data
representation!

We need to make the user workflow as easy as possible. Nobody will ever
write RDF.
If users want to cut&paste Wikipedia URIs to annotate content: great, do
it.

These URIs can easily be converted into DBpedia URIs internally, and we
get correct RDF data.

And everybody's happy :)

Georgi

--