Re: Notes from INSPIRE 2014

Hi Andrea,

>> Well, personally, I haven't seen something like the emergence of two
>> "schools" - actually, my impression is that we are all still following
>> our own "personal" school, when dealing with the use of SemWeb
>> technologies in the geo domain (and I'm not saying that this is
>> necessarily a bad thing). What I saw is an increasing amount of work
>> on the use of LD as a way to bridge geo technologies with Web
>> technologies, but, in my understanding, there's no homogeneity on how
>> this is done. The approach used depends on the use case, and this can
>> be seen just going through the presentations of the 2 LD sessions.

This seems like good news to me. IMHO, the great chance here is to use
Linked Data as interchange layer. In most cases, there is no reason and
no need to change the internal mechanics of existing
SDI/cyber-infrastructures as long as all of them can also expose their
data as LD, e.g., via transparent proxies.

Best,
Krzysztof

--
Krzysztof Janowicz

5806 Ellison Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4060

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu
Webpage: http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/