Re: Linked Library Holdings/Items

On 21.10.2011 15:28, Ross Singer wrote:

> I think the most granular frbr entity you can hope for in that
> resource is a Work (there are multiple, conflicting, expression
> statements: language, englishPublicationDate, etc.), which is probably
> generally appropriate for dbpedia resources.
>
> So, in this case:
>
> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/The_Diary_of_a_Young_Girl>
>    <ov:commonWork>
> <http://uri.gbv.de/item/opac-de-b1549:epn:878552081>,
> <http://lobid.org/resource/HT008722600>,
> <http://www.librarything.com/work/3032251>,
> <http://openlibrary.org/works/OL2931460W>  .
>
> So this at least states that all 4 resources are referring to the same
> frbr:Work (whether it's called "Diary of a Young Girl", "Journal
> d'Anne Frank", or the "Diary of Anne Frank").

Thanks, I begin to understand :-) But what does "share the same work"
mean in FRBR terms? Maybe its easier to express formally with a narrower
term:

 > <http://lobid.org/resource/HT008722600>
 >    ov:commonManifestation
 > <http://uri.gbv.de/item/opac-de-b1549:epn:878552081>  .

{ ?X ov:commonManifestation ?Y }

=> # implies one of the following holds:

{ ?X a frbr:Manifestation . ?Y a frbr:Manifestation . ?X owl:sameAs ?Y }
OR
{ ?X a frbr:Manifestation . ?Y a frbr:Item . ?Y frbr:exemplarOf ?X }
OR
{ ?X a frbr:Item . ?Y a frbr:Manifestation . ?Y frbr:exemplar ?X }
OR
{ ?X a frbr:Item; frbr:exemplarOf ?Z .
   ?Y a frbr:Item; frbr:exemplarOf ?Z .
   ?Z a frbr:Manifestation . }

I can think of "share the same Work/Expression/Manifestation", but what
does "share the same Item" mean? I bet that "A and B share the same FOO"
must be expressable in RDF as

<A> ?r _:x . <B> ?r _:x . _:x a <FOO> .

So what about the relation ?r.

> Hopefully, that will clear it up a little better.

I'd better rename the properties to something like ov:sharesWorkWith or
ov:hasSameWorkAs. The label "commonWork" looks more like "is common work
of" which led me doubt.

Jakob

--
Jakob Voß <jakob.voss@gbv.de>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany