Re: Linked Library Holdings/Items

Quoting Jakob Voss <jakob.voss@gbv.de>:

> On 19.10.2011 00:43, Lukas Koster wrote:
>
>> Jakob is right when he says we don't have Expressions in our catalogues.
>> Nor do we have Works. We only have Manifestations (=bibliographic
>> records) and Items (holdings/items). Works and Expressions are implicit
>> and repeated. It is virtually impossible to add these FRBR entities to
>> existing systems, also with RDA.

Unfortunately it's not simple. FRBR contains the same information that
is in library catalogs today, only divided up differently. The FRBR
Manifestation is LESS than the entry in the library catalog. If you
only had FRBR manifestation you would not have an author, nor subject
information, nor any information about language of text or type of
creation (e.g. whether it is a text or a photo or a film). In fact,
today's library catalog record has the scope of the entirety of FRBR.

Ross's property "commonManifestation" does not mean that the subject
and object ARE Manifestations, at least the way I see it. It means
that the same Manifestation is represented in both sets of metadata.
It doesn't (or shouldn't?) say anything about the nature of those sets
of metadata. You could, therefore, say:

A commonManifestation B
A commonWork B

because both could be true. (In fact, both MUST be true following FRBR
rules, but you might not want to draw that conclusion or you just
might not care.)

I don't think that you can extrapolate from these properties to actual
FRBR entities because you do not have FRBR entities. Thus your examples:

{ ?X ov:commonManifestation ?Y }

=> # implies one of the following holds:

{ ?X a frbr:Manifestation . ?Y a frbr:Manifestation . ?X owl:sameAs ?Y
} ... etc.

are not true if x and y are not actual FRBR entities. Things either
are or are not FRBR entities, and they can't be FRBR and not-FRBR at
the same time.

kc

--
Karen Coyle