Re: Linked Library Holdings/Items

On 18 Oct 2011, at 16:28, Jakob Voss wrote:

> Another reason why I do not care about frbr:Expression is that we just don't have this distinction in our catalogues. We only have bibliographic records and holdings items. The latter map to frbr:item, but I am not sure about the former. So I better wait until we have real world data that covers both expressions and manifestations.

MARC records don't always differentiate between manifestations and items either - for example the 561 which gives information on the custodial history for an item - see an example at http://hooke.lib.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/bib_seek.cgi?cat=ul&bib=2458009.

I suppose I'm saying - don't wait until we have real world data that neatly separates out frbr entities! (not that I'm convinced FRBR is a desirable destination but there you go)

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com
Email: owen@ostephens.com