Re: Linked Library Holdings/Items

Hello.

in a recent blogpost I tried to line out what is actually  catalogued, that is: gets a record, in traditional library catalogues. For if we want to migrate legacy data to the semantic web we have to deal with this question and not with the question of how concretely to apply the FRBR model to biobliographic description. The background problem of this post is the representation of journals and journal holdings in RDF.

See https://wiki1.hbz-nrw.de/display/SEM/2011/10/17/Serials+and+FRBR

As you can see we also leave out frbr:Expression and frbr:Work as these have no analogy in traditional cataloging.

Regarding "institution authority data", I just published my master thesis on representing libraries and related organisations, their services and collections in RDF.[1] There will be much overlap with DAIA but I actually only use existing vocabularies like vcard, the Organization Ontology or Good Relations in this approach. The thesis is in German but I started to give a summary at [2]. I would really like to establish some best practices for describing institutions and their sites, services, collections, events at the W3C. So, Karen I would definitely be part of a Community Group providing these.

All the best
Adrian

[1] http://hdl.handle.net/10760/16175

[2] https://wiki1.hbz-nrw.de/display/SEM/Howto+-+Describing+libraries%2C+their+collections+and+services+in+RDF