Re: Question about MARCXML to Models transformation

From: Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 15:27:08 +0000
To: Ross Singer <ross.singer@talis.com>
Cc: "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org>, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>, public-lld@w3.org
In message
<AANLkTim6XyVtANsMfPSWQY5+XAbFpCew08T_=ASva95n@mail.gmail.com>, Ross
Singer <ross.singer@talis.com> writes
>On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Richard Light
><richard@light.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Well yes, correct.  But that's precisely my point: whatever basis was used
>> to arrive at that position, they have been assigned different URLs, and ipso
>> facto it is asserted that they are distinct entities.  I have no view on
>> what would count as sufficient information to arrive at that conclusion
>> (although the raft of different properties would seem to make it a
>> no-brainer in this case).
>>
>Richard, I'm not sure I understand.  They've been assigned different
>URLs because they're different records.  The problem is, we don't
>*why* it's a different record.  I don't think it's a "no-brainer" -
>the raft of different properties could easily appear because they're
>different editions (and, therefore different Manifestations of the
>same Expression) or simply because the records were entered by
>different people/organizations.

This is probably my bibliographic ignorance coming out, so apologies if
that's the case.  I was assuming that "different URLs" = "different
Expressions". However, from the discussion I'm realising that the issue
is about how to tease out WEMI from records which lack this world view.

Richard
--
Richard Light