RE: Question about MARCXML to Models transformation

From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 06:30:35 -0800
To: "Tillett, Barbara" <btil@loc.gov>
Cc: "public-lld@w3.org" <public-lld@w3.org>
Quoting "Tillett, Barbara" <btil@loc.gov>:

> I basically agree, but want to point out that FRBR's WEMI are not
> strictly hierarchical but rather a network graph (don't forget about
> the many to many relationships for the WEMI - it's not just one to
> one or one to many or many to one - there are also many to many).

I think this is a definitional distinction that doesn't change the
underlying problem, which is that WEMI are not *things* in the E-R
sense, but they are a single thing that has been broken into
_dependent parts_. That is why it is extremely hard to model them,
either in a semantic web sense or in something like a graph or
topic-like map. In that sense, Group 1 of FRBR is very different from
Groups 2 and 3 which have as their classes a set of independent
things, each of which is complete in itself.

I don't know of an analogous situation so I can't give an analogy...
but there's something ... interesting ... about an entity that can
have relationships (like the Manifestation having a relationship to a
series) even though that first entity is unable to stand alone. I
haven't seen any discussion of "dependent things" in any semantic web
community arenas, so I don't know if this is a known "case" or not. I
just know that I struggle with it greatly.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net