W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-lld@w3.org > August 2010

Meeting minutes: 2010-08-19 (from the private list)

From: Tom Morris <tfmorris@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:45:19 -0400
Message-ID: <AANLkTin6pm0eo3c3QYAOmOOmvo4erA8h55w75e51L1z=@mail.gmail.com>
To: public-lld <public-lld@w3.org>
Attached are the most recent LLD XG minutes.  See the W3C
site<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Aug/0077.html>for
the follow-up discussion:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Aug/0077.html

There are also two other sets of minutes which were only posted to the
private list (which I forgot to check in a timely enough fashion to
forward):
  July 8, 2010 minutes
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jul/0032.html
  July 29, 2010 minutes
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jul/0101.html

Tom

[image: W3C] <http://www.w3.org/>
LLD XG 19 Aug 2010

Agenda <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Aug/0073.html>

See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-lld-irc>
Attendees
PresentTomB, emma, antoine, MarkVanAssem, marcia, GordonD, monica, edsu,
bvatant, kcoyle, rsinger, Wolfgang, jon, michaelp, jneubert, KaiRegretsTod,
Andreas, Alexander, Kim, Ray, Oreste, GuentherChairTomScribeRoss
Contents

   - Topics<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#agenda>
      1. Admin<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#item01>
      2. F2F Meetings<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#item02>
      3. Use cases<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#item03>
      4. LLD Topic
List<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#item04>
      5. NISO Institutional Identifier (I2) working
group<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#item05>
      6. Library Data resources, and Library Terminology
pages<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#item06>
      7. Reports from
IFLA<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#item07>
      8. next telecon<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#item08>
   - Summary of Action
Items<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

------------------------------

<TomB> scribe: rsinger

<TomB> scribenick: rsinger
Admin

Propose to accept minutes?

*RESOLUTION: To accept meeting minutes of previous telecon:
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html*
F2F Meetings

TomB:: Meeting in Pittsburgh around DC2010

... Looking for next actions in the LLD space

... What has/has not worked in the DCMI Abstract Model

... How to move forward constructively

... Sat/Sun, have a meeting room @ DC2010

... no registration fee

... wireless costs $350/day

... $10-15/person to provide wireless for the day

<kcoyle> ++ pass the hat

<edsu> +1

<GordonD> +1

TomB: I will send a proposal to the list

<marcia> +1

TomB: will convene by noon(?) on Sunday so people can catch flights
... discussion continues re: F2F at SWIB in Cologne
Use cases

TomB: any comments on selections of links and the way they're characterized?
... update schedule

TomB: who wants to take the lead on the use cases?

kcoyle: What do we need to do?
... it would be great to know what goes in each part of the use case / many
things being left blank
... there are very large use cases, like how we deal with legacy data, are
those appropriate as use cases?

emma: we need to test use case template within the group

kcoyle: on the use case notes page, we can put an FAQ?

antoine: we can use the discussion section of the use case template page

<emma> +1

antoine: this was kai's suggestion

kcoyle: we should note this somewhere

<TomB> Karen and Antoine propose to use
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Talk:Use_Case_Template

kcoyle: i will add a note to the use case template to use the discussion
section

<GordonD> next week's telecon islast chance to discuss use cases before end
august deadline, so +1 to use wiki between now and then - assuming we stick
to deadline

<antoine> kcoyle ++

<bvatant> +1

<GordonD> +1 for karen's suggestion

<marcia> +1

<antoine> -> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Publishing_20th_Century_Press_Archives


<antoine> -> jneubert's use case

emma: jneubert has added two sections to template

<monica> emma: joachim has added some sections to his template

<antoine> +1 for including prototype in "Existing Work" but explaining it in
the template

jneubert: it is not only about technology but applications or prototypes in
template
... in the Existing Work section

michaelp: go through the use cases one by one in a telecon so we can all
contribute to filling the blanks to give input to the use case creators

<TomB> +1 michaelp's suggestion

michaelp: the target audience really depends on the use case, in jneubert's
case it is really an application, in other cases, it's really a task

<emma> +1 to comment the use cases 1 by 1

antoine: use next teleconf to discuss the use cases
... wanted to mention jneubert's use case

TomB: the schedule
... we are still at the gathering and development of scenarios

<GordonD> it would be useful for me to extend schedule

TomB: should we revise expectations?

<kcoyle> yes

<GordonD> +1

<monica> +1

<bvatant> +1

<kcoyle> Sep 15?

<michaelp> +1

*ACTION:* Everyone to create use cases on the "use case note" page
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes . Not more than 2
persons per case. Deadline august 25. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action04]
*[CONTINUES]*

antoine: kcoyle asks if the deadline can be extended until sep. 15th

<TomB> +1 for extending deadline

antoine: there can be contribution after the next teleconf

<kcoyle> ok, i agree

<bvatant> ok for this

<GordonD> thanx for clarification from antoine

kai: Are there more ideas for extensions to the template?

TomB: there was general approval of jneubert's additions
... look at specific use cases/examples and use those examples to make
decisions how to modify templates

kai: i like the new sections, we'll have a deeper look and discuss next time

<antoine> re. joachim's new section, for one of them (prototype) could be in
Existing work but explicitly documented in the template instruction for that
section
LLD Topic List

kcoyle: the topic list hasn't been refined in a while. do we want further
refinement? it is still very informal

TomB: will be put on the agenda in Pittsburgh

<antoine> +1
NISO Institutional Identifier (I2) working group

marcia: Already submitted

<marcia> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/NISO-I2

marcia: recorded in wiki page

*ACTION:* Marcia to send (informal) group's comment on I2 before the
deadline for comments [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action05]
*[DONE]*

marcia: sent note to mailing list referring to:
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/NISO-I2

TomB: send it to our list as well, just for the public record

*ACTION:* marcia to post I2 comments to LLD list [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#action02]
Library Data resources, and Library Terminology pages

kcoyle: there is room for other bullet points on the library data resources
wiki page
... this grew very quickly. we have begun one of the possible tasks.
... a vision of what the range is of library that we need to incorporate
into our thinking of linked data
... came out of work I was doing with OpenLibrary - libraries have their own
language - so we use terms that librarians understand, but no one else
... these aren't formal definitions, helps people understand what librarians
mean
... encourage people on the public list to contribute
... started to gather together lists of vocabularies already in use for
library linked data
Reports from IFLA

GordonD: IFLA was productive from the LLD perspective - started putting some
info. out on the mailing list
... on the FRBR stuff, hoping to be able to put something out within 2-3
weeks
... also release an unbounded set of properties and see what happens with
community uptake

<bvatant>
http://www.slideshare.net/event/ifla-2010-world-library-and-information-congress-76th-ifla-general-conference-and-assembly

GordonD: FRBR, as is, is deprecated in favor of a consolidated model
combining FRBR and FRSAD
... bibliographic description different than FRBR, more similar to RDA
... specific rules about how elements should be displayed
... will use a DC application profile for this
... will feed back into DCMI and LLD
... hope to make a crosslinking between FRBR and ISBD
... much of the discussion taking place around linked data

*ACTION:* Gordon will prepare something on RDA, FRBR etc. for discussion in
Sept. agenda [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action06]
*[CONTINUES]*

emma: A lot of general interest on semweb at IFLA
... important session on libraries and semweb, quite long for IFLA (4
hours?)
... on a Sunday morning!
... complementary to the technical work, special interest group within IFLA
on the general interest, training, etc.
next telecon

TomB: next conference, next week
 Summary of Action Items *[NEW]* *ACTION:* marcia to post I2 comments to LLD
list [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#action02]

*[PENDING]* *ACTION:* Everyone to create use cases on the "use case note"
page http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes . Not more than
2 persons per case. Deadline august 25. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action04]


*[PENDING]* *ACTION:* Gordon will prepare something on RDA, FRBR etc. for
discussion in Sept. agenda [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action06
]

*[DONE]* *ACTION:* Marcia to send (informal) group's comment on I2 before
the deadline for comments [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action05
]

[End of minutes]
------------------------------
 Minutes formatted by David Booth's
scribe.perl<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm>version
1.135 (CVS
log <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2010/08/20 07:27:16 $
Received on Friday, 20 August 2010 18:45:53 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:27:37 UTC