Re: RDA and ranges

From: Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:53:20 +0100
To: Owen Stephens <owen@ostephens.com>
Cc: public-lld@w3.org, Ross Singer <ross.singer@talis.com>, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
In message
<AANLkTikjF71UAme_EP_1UhLv9CTAvXinVy_8cggVP7ZJ@mail.gmail.com>, Owen
Stephens <owen@ostephens.com> writes

>We already have (at least?) two examples of library catalogue data being
>published as linked data (http://libris.kb.se and http://nektar2.oszk.hu/librivision_eng.html). They go for a much simpler
>approach to expressing the core bibliographic data as linked data.

Can you point to where their linked data is to be found?  It's not
obvious from the URLs provided.

>Although I know this doesn't go as far as it might in terms of expressing
>the full details, it does at least achieve URIs for entities and for the records
>- which, of course, opens up the ability for others to make statements
>about them, and to integrate other relevant linked data sources.

Absolutely: give the world a set of pegs on which to hang their own
assertions about bibliographic materials.

As you broaden out the audience for this data beyond librarians, most of
the data in a MARC record won't be of interest in any case.

>This would seem like a practical way forward, and not necessarily that
>difficult I don't think - and of course in no way stops more complex
>representations being developed and either replacing or adding to these
>simpler representations. Also it seems likely that simple representations
>(using DC, FOAF, Geo and maybe a few other common ontologies) is
>going to be more useful in many cases.

That's one approach: another is to stick with the project of developing
a coherent bibliographic ontology, using e.g. FRBRoo to tie in with
other areas of cultural heritage.

Richard
--
Richard Light