Re: RDA and ranges

Why don't we start from where we are - we don't have to re-write cataloguing
rules to get some of the core data out there as linked data (do we?)

We already have (at least?) two examples of library catalogue data being
published as linked data (http://libris.kb.se and
http://nektar2.oszk.hu/librivision_eng.html). They go for a much simpler
approach to expressing the core bibliographic data as linked data. Although
I know this doesn't go as far as it might in terms of expressing the full
details, it does at least achieve URIs for entities and for the records -
which, of course, opens up the ability for others to make statements about
them, and to integrate other relevant linked data sources.

This would seem like a practical way forward, and not necessarily that
difficult I don't think - and of course in no way stops more complex
representations being developed and either replacing or adding to these
simpler representations. Also it seems likely that simple representations
(using DC, FOAF, Geo and maybe a few other common ontologies) is going to be
more useful in many cases.

Perhaps naively it seems to me that adding linked data/RDF representations
to open source resource discovery packages (e.g. VuFind, Blacklight)
wouldn't be a huge step - and if we could engage system vendors and get them
added to packages such as Encore, Primo, etc. even better. Where we are
seeing investment in library systems at the moment, much of it is in these
types of systems, so it seems like a real opportunity to me.

Owen

--
Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting