Re: collaborative bibliography for library Linked Data?

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the thought--but I don't see a way to use Mendeley for Web-scale collaboration, even if all collaborators were using Mendeley. As far as I can tell, I can make a collection either public (but no one else can add things) or shared (but not publicly viewable; limit of 10 users before paying; and worst, I already need to "know" these users).

Mendeley does a few things better:
There's an "add to my library button" -- but you need a Mendeley account and can only export directly (i.e. in 1 step) to your Mendeley library.
Mendeley provides RSS and embedding code:
http://www.mendeley.com/research-papers/collections/37198/Open-Data/

More specifically, my criteria are:
* Anyone can add any item metadata, via a web interface -- I'd expect typing by hand, importing from common bibliographic formats (i.e. BibTeX import, RIS import)
* Anyone can export any item metadata via a web interface (into at least one common format -- BibTeX, RIS, ...)
* Has version history

Pluses include:
** One-click add from (several) bibliographic software packages
** One-click add from (several) paper repositories/full-text databases, etc.
** Ability to accept and display multiple summaries (i.e. reader-written abstracts, reviews, ...)
** Ability to autoupdate, based on existing bibliographies in other places (e.g. pull in from a specified Zotero group, a specified Mendeley group, etc.)

I also looked at BibSonomy -- which won't work any better, as far as I can tell.

CiteULike seems the closest (no version history, still need a login, no direct interaction with desktop clients). I liked them better before Springer bought them and plastered ads all over the place -- but I think it might be usable.

Any other options? Is it worth using a CiteULike group for collaboration, or is there a better way?

-Jodi