Re: Problem with auto-generated fragment IDs for graph names

On 19/02/13 04:27, Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2013, at 1:13 PM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

>>> if that's not standardized across all RDF dataset syntaxes you
>>> couldn't transform the JSON-LD data to another syntax.
>>
>> Hence my suggestion for using IRIs minted by the parser because you
>> can define them to denote the graph.
>
> How do you do this, Andy?

The IRI being minted is under the control of the JSON-LD spec - it gets
to define its meaning.

> How is this act of definition recorded?

I suggest in the default graph.  But Manu suggests that being under
control of JSON-LD is enough.

> If
> I read a dataset somewhere on the Web and it has IRIs in it,  how
> would I know that they had been "defined" in this way so that I knew
> they were intended to denote a graph?

Either know the provenance of the data or look at the URI pattern and
know it's JSON-LD generated.

> All I have is the dataset
> (perhaps in the form of a document which parses to the dataset) and
> the RDF specifications: and the latter tell me that I *cannot* make
> this assumption.
>
>> You can then define the output of JSON-LD parsing that a graph
>> label using one of these IRIs is denoting the graph.  owl:sameAs
>> (except that's for "individuals"
>
> Only in OWL-DL. Use Owl-Full and you are OK. :-)
>
>> / "IRI").

>>> Yes, I was always talking about the abstract construct and not
>>> the bits and bytes on the wire.

>>> You mean the JSON-LD specification would have to say that?

>> the graph to which the signature applies. That's the reason why I

>>> Really? Could you then still round-trip the data between
>>> different syntaxes without changing its semantics?
>>
>> Yes, round trip from JSON-LD-X -> TriG or NQuads -> JSON-LD, (where
>> JSON-LD-X is the restriction of JSON-LD to RDF+Datasets - no Bnode
>> or literal properties, etc)  It's just transcoding of the abstract
>> data model and is neutral to semantics in graph labelling or IRI
>> minting.
>
> But the question arises, since this is 'neutral to semantics',
> whether the Trig/NQuads has the same meaning as the JSON-LD had. I
> think right now it does not.
> So the reverse mapping must be doing
> something that does not preserve meaning. So, although I don't follow
> the fine details, but I will bet you a good steak dinner that there
> will be some case where RDF-valid processing in the middle will break
> the reverse mapping to JSON-LD.

Markus was asking about a round-trip between syntaxes of a dataset, not
the more general changing the dataset en route.

	Andy