Re: Problem with auto-generated fragment IDs for graph names

On Feb 19, 2013, at 9:10 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 19/02/13 04:27, Pat Hayes wrote:

>>> Hence my suggestion for using IRIs minted by the parser because you
>>> can define them to denote the graph.
>>
>> How do you do this, Andy?
>
> The IRI being minted is under the control of the JSON-LD spec - it gets to define its meaning.
>
>> How is this act of definition recorded?
>
> I suggest in the default graph.  But Manu suggests that being under control of JSON-LD is enough.

I dont think it is, unless there is some kind of guarantee that this RDF will never get published or relased in the wild. But in that case, why bother using RDF?

>> If
>> I read a dataset somewhere on the Web and it has IRIs in it,  how
>> would I know that they had been "defined" in this way so that I knew
>> they were intended to denote a graph?
>
> Either know the provenance of the data or look at the URI pattern and know it's JSON-LD generated.

OK, I see how that works now, thanks. This could be described as skolemization, in fact, of a recognizable kind done by JSON-LD parsing. JSON-skolemization. It has all the merits (no bnodes) and demerits (doesn't *really* preserve meaning, introduces spurious global IDs) that skolemization has in other places.

Pat