Re: Provenance in JSON-LD

From: Alexandre Passant <alex@seevl.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 03:31:50 +0000
To: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Cc: public-linked-json@w3.org
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Markus Lanthaler
<markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
>
>> I'm trying to imagine how to add (basic) provenance information in
>> JSON-LD. The use-case is on re-distribution of existing data, in order
>> to indicate when it has been fetched, from which website, etc.
>
> Do you think that would be an important use case for JSON-LD?

I think so (besides our use of JSON-LD at seevl).
One of the thing that is often advocated with Linked Data is the
reuse-DRY approach. In many cases, that implies keeping track of
provenance, so I think that's important to consider this in JSON-LD.

>> I'm thinking of a @graph keyword:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I know that the graph issue is still under consideration by the RDF
>> WG, so this output may change. Yet, I think the requirement is strong
>> enough to address it. Opinions ?
>
> How do you see that work when potentially every triple is from a different
> source? Create objects each with a @graph?

Yes - and a default graph (unnamed) if no @graph is attribute is
specified (similar to SPARQL queries w/o the GRAPH keyword)

>> BTW, is there currently a way in JSON-LD to define extensions ? So
>> that, I could define my own semantics of @graph (that some JSON-LD
>> parser may or may not understand) but this document would still be
>> compliant with the main JSON-LD spec. Or a way to ignore some keywords
>> in the parser (via @context) so that I can produce such document but
>> still be valid.
>
> This is discussed in a slightly different context. See ISSUE-56 and
> ISSUE-49:
>
> https://github.com/json-ld/json-ld.org/issues/56
> https://github.com/json-ld/json-ld.org/issues/49

Thanks - I'll have a look and comment on github if I have some input.

Best,

Alex.

--
Dr. Alexandre Passant - @terraces